Aesthetician Education – Lip Filler with Emily!
The following is an interview with our Nurse Injector, Emily, about one of our most popular injectable procedures: lip filler! Read on to find out more, or check out our informational page on filler, here!
What is lip filler?
Lip filler is a gel-like substance that, when injected into the lips, will add volume and fullness. It can help create shape for very thin lips or correct any natural asymmetries your lips may have. Lip filler will also provide hydration from the inside out, which will help soften vertical lip lines and give a beautiful smooth surface on which to apply lipstick or lip gloss.
What type of lip filler do we use at WPS?
Here at the MedSpa at WPS, we use only Hyaluronic Acid (HA) based filler, which is a substance naturally produced and absorbed by your body. HA gives the lips a smooth and plumped appearance that our patients love.
What should I do before and after my filler appointment?
- We ask that our patients stop taking aspirin products (Advil, Motrin, Aleve), Vitamin E, or any fish oil supplements several days before their treatments, and to avoid alcohol 24 hours prior. This will help reduce the risk of bruising.
- If you have a history of cold sores, we recommend that you take Valtrex several days prior to your appointment as a precaution.
- Dental procedures should not be scheduled 2 weeks prior to or within 2 weeks after your filler treatment. Please give yourself at least a month before and a month after your treatment before receiving any vaccinations.
- After your treatment, applying ice to your lips will help reduce bruising and swelling. Also, no use of straws or puckering to avoid pressure on your lips.
- We always tell our lip filler patients to plan on bruising and swelling. Usually if bruising does occur, it is minor and can easily be concealed with makeup; but just to be safe, please give yourself a week or two after your appointment before scheduling any big social events.
- It usually takes about two weeks for the full result of your lip treatment to be seen. Be patient. Give your lips time to heal and get ready to love your result!
How long will my lip filler last?
Lip filler typically lasts about 6-9 months. Some people can get a little longer out of their filler, others may get a little less.
Does lip filler hurt? Is there lots of bruising/swelling?
Lip filler is usually very well tolerated by most patients. We use a topical numbing agent which will numb the lips prior to injections. The filler also has lidocaine in it – a local anesthetic – so between the two, most patients are comfortable throughout the procedure.
Bruising and swelling are always a possibility, although we do everything possible to minimize that risk. If a patient does have bruising or swelling it is usually mild and will resolve in a few days.
If you are interested in lip filler or any of the other treatments our MedSpa has to offer, give our office a call or send us an inquiry so that we can help schedule you for a comprehensive consultation with one of our Nurse Injectors. We are constantly growing our MedSpa family here at Wake Plastic Surgery and can’t wait for you to join us!